Los Angeles to New York City Roadtrip 2010.

12:59 PM 1 Comments A+ a-


A road trip is any journey taken on roads, often by car, regardless of stops en route. Typically, road trips are long distances traveled by car. Why thank you, Wikipedia.

The longest road trip by car, 12 hours = Quezon City to Baguio City, Philippines. It usually takes 6-8 hours but it was Holy Week traffic. It took just as long on the way back.

But the longest road trip EVER...

LOS ANGELES TO NEW YORK CITY = FOUR DAYS.
5 December 2010 - 9 December 2010. Greyhound Bus. From one city to another.
Stops:
  1. El Monte, CA
  2. Claremont, CA
  3. Riverside, CA
  4. San Bernardino, CA
  5. Las Vegas, NV
  6. Richfield, UT
  7. Green River, UT [Bus broke down and got delayed for 6 HOURS.]
  8. Grand Junction, CO
  9. Denver, CO [Arrived 1AM; had to wait until 8:30AM for the bus.]
  10. Ogallala, NE
  11. Kearney, NE
  12. Omaha, NE
  13. Avoca, IA
  14. Des Moines, IA
  15. Iowa City, IA
  16. Walcott, IA
  17. Davenport, IA
  18. Moline, IL
  19. Dixon, IL
  20. Aurora, IL
  21. Chicago, IL
  22. Hammond, IN
  23. Gary, IN
  24. South Bend, IN
  25. Elkhart, IN
  26. Howe, IN
  27. Cleveland, OH [Got snowed in. Delayed for 2 hours.]
  28. Milesburg, PA
  29. Syracuse, NY
  30. Erie, PA [for some reason, the bus backtracked.]
  31. Newark, NJ
  32. New York, NY
Geez. I really did that. Now that I’ve plotted it down… wow. That’s one for the bucket list! And yeah, the Idiot cast signed my Greyhound ticket envelope. And no, my first stop wasn’t a convenience store. It was a Starbucks. I stayed the fuck away from the Greyhound toilet. LOL.
It should only be three days to NYC but the bus broke down somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Utah and we were stuck there waiting for the "rescue bus" for six hours. Finally, the rescue bus arrived to take us to Denver, Colorado. We got there at around 1AM and the next bus will leave for Chicago, Illinois... at 8:30AM. Yes, six hours to wait. Six hours of NO SLEEP. Got to Chicago, no problem. Then when we got to Cleveland, Ohio, it was waist-deep snow. It was too dangerous for buses to operate so we got stranded at the terminal for three hours. When we finally got on the road, instead of going straight to NYC from Cleveland, we detoured to Syracuse, NY and then back out of New York State to Erie, Pennsylvania and then finally to Penn Station, NYC. FOUR FRIGGIN' DAYS. And oh, somewhere in Chicago, my luggage got separated from me. It got to Penn Station before me. The Greyhound people called me up to tell me it had arrived while I was still in New Jersey. LOL.

Anyway, it was definitely an experience. Might I add that I went on this journey all by my lonesome.

The trip back wasn't as eventful. The only difference was the bus has electricity and WiFi. So I wasn't as cut-off from the world outside. The three days flew by as the scenery outside my window.
Would I do this again? Abso-fucking-lutely! This time, I'll buy a post card from every state I step on.

1 reactions:

Write reactions
Anonymous
AUTHOR
June 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM delete

Amazing! Nice trip and congrats! You made it!

Reply
avatar