Song Jihyo is my soul mate.

3:25 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

My soulmate, Song Jihyo 언니, you have the VHS tapes in Korean, I have them dubbed in "Filipino English". 



I remember they used to come after one of my favorites, Hikari Sentai Maskman, on a Saturday afternoon. Choudenshi Bioman was one of the first (technically) English language shows that I religiously followed. Maskman was dubbed in Filipino while this one, in English. I was around 5-6 years old. Apart from Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman, Sailormoon, Daimos, and Voltes V, I don't remember watching anything else.

(I didn't *become* a nerd, I was *born* a nerd.)
My complete copy of the Voltes V series is also dubbed in "Filipino English", that is, English dubbing done by Filipinos. The accent may not be as "thick" as Filipino English-speakers today but you can tell that they're not native speakers. And I admit, it makes for some hilarious one-liners! Also, it's the complete series... not just the ones that Marcos allowed.


Ah the countless hours that my brother and I spent watching these Super Sentai Spirits Live concert clips. I wish we can have this at AnimeExpo. Make it happen, please.

Jihyo-ssi, I totally recognized that theme song that you sang even if it was in Korean. I wonder if she favored Yellow or Pink? Hee! I used to fight tooth and nail for the Yellow one until Chojin Sentai Jetman where the Yellow member was a guy. And I guess after that, my interest in sentai waned and I moved on to other things, such as... boybands.

(Sentai => Boybands => 90s Anime => Taiwanese drama/Playstation gaming => C-pop => K-pop/Anime. That's my fangirl timeline.)

Sentai shows will always be my favorite. I still break into song whenever I hear an opening or closing theme and when I happen to click on a video on Youtube, it's going to become a black hole for sure. I'm so pleasantly surprised to know that my Running Yeoja, Monday Girlfriend is a fan of this too. And she has an equally good-looking younger brother.

PS: I'd totally date Kang Gary. Truth. But my delulu-ness is telling me that there is more than meets the eye. ;-)