DREAM JOURNAL | Rats

12:52 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

I guess I do have a dream journal after all. A little more public than a longhand journal though. But that's okay. Consider this therapy. I'm the patient and all of you are my therapists. Fitting that I'm doing this during my downtime at work... considering where I work. ;-)



I slept early last night and woke up early this morning. At around 5am. I stayed up until 6 and then tried sleeping again. That's when the dream happened.


It's not as long or as clear as my last one. All I remember upon waking up was being at the smaller desk at work. I was on the phone with someone. It was dark; the lights were turned off. I don't remember who I was talking to but it sounded pretty heated. Maybe it was someone we owed money or some hostile client. Anyway, I was agitated.

I then heard some rustling in the stacks of paper in front of me. I tried getting away but then, in the dark, I spot TWO black and furry creatures chasing each other as if they're playing. I'm not 100% sure that they were rats, definitely some kind of rodent. I screamed and pulled my legs up to the chair but they happened to touch my ankle and they were that creepy kind of furry. Like you just know that they're rats. They were cat-sized rats. The ones that you see in alleyways and subway tracks.

And then I woke up.

First thing I did was look up "rats in dreams meaning". General consensus was it's not good. Disloyalty, instability, betrayal - someone "RATting you out", deceit, disputes. And the fact that the dream's setting was at my workplace was more unsettling.

Is this a message of some sort?
In some dreams the rat has the character of most rodents, the gnawing inquisitive searching out of things. It can therefore relate to your anxieties, self questioning and worrying mind that disturbs or eats away at things like peace of mind or confidence. - Source.

There it is again. Anxiety. Worry. Peace of mind. Or lack thereof.

I've never had dreams that I could clearly remember for a very long time. Ever since I've openly acknowledged that I am, in fact, very stressed and sought ways to alleviate it... I've been having these dreams. Is this good or bad? What is it trying to tell me? Or am I just reading too much into it?