TOP TEN TUESDAYS | Podcasts

1:11 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

I usually do this on my book blog, SHELF PICKINGS over at Wordpress. But I'm not much into audiobooks (yet) and anything outside the realm of reading, I'd rather put here. Plus, this little nook needs a little traffic. Won't hurt, right?


This week is an audio freebie. I have a couple of audio books in my possession. I was gifted a free copy of A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab on Audible and The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner, narrated by no other than Tom Hiddleston. I also have the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon on audio. My favorites would have to be One Bullet Away, written and narrated by Nathaniel Fick and Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Do I include radio dramas? There was a time when I was obsessed with them.

But that's about it for my audio book experience. Frankly, I don't have the attention span for them. I used to have Classics droning in the background as I worked but ultimately, my attention went elsewhere. What could hold me for more than 15 minutes though, are podcasts.

Here are my favorites:


  • SWORD & SCALE - This is my favorite podcast. Of all time. I found this incredible True Crime podcast by accident after finishing Serial and ended up binge-listening to this and loving it more. It's on episode 70-something now but I re-started listening from episode 1. I'm on 22 now and I still love it as I did when I listened to it the first time. I have clear favorites that have stuck with me and terrified the heck out of me. I even want to start a Sword & Scale book club. Get on it!
  • LORE - Oh man, if you're into creepy stuff, this podcast is for you. I also binge-listened to this from the first episode. From the narration, the topics, and the music... I can get lost into this. And I almost did miss a couple of train stops because I was so engrossed. And it's possibly being developed into a TV show. Wow!
  • CRIMINAL - Another one that I found post-Serial. I'm a bit behind on this because there are some topics that I just don't care about or not really related to anything "criminal" but I still like this overall. 
  • SERIAL - Of course, where it call began. I admit, I wasn't into the second season. I guess I was more into the whole Adnan case in general rather than the podcast itself. I mean, it's still intriguing but with Sword & Scale taking the top spot, I have more than enough material to sort through on my morning commute.
And to toot my own horn here a bit. I was on a podcast. One episode but I'm pretty happy with it. I imagine that if we were to re-do this topic now, I'll have more useful things to say. But I'm still pretty proud of this. Here it is:


So yeah, K-pop concerts... conventions... events, bring it!

I can only do five. My brother listens to more of these things, being the gamer and all. If you have suggestions, lemme have it. I love True Crime. The creepier, the better.