Beauty and Geekery

12:10 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

Target is one of those stores where you go in not expecting to buy anything but then you go out toting a couple of stuff that you don't know you needed... or don't actually need.  I feel like whenever I enter a Target store, I leave with an item or two.  Just today, I decided to drop in just to look around.  They didn't have the blush I wanted but they did have this:


I'm afraid you can hear my geekery from the screens of your computers.  With this, I crossed out two wish list items: Map of Middle-Earth and Thorin's Map.  I have the key, too... so if you want to go on an adventure... ;-)

Anyway, not too long ago, I dropped by another Target store and after going back and forth a couple of times, I decided to pick up 2 of the ELF Studio Matte Lip Colors.  I saw this in a friend's makeup collection and I've been wanting to get it for a long time.  So I finally did.  Here's what I think of them.

Since when did this blog become a beauty blog?  LOL.  Expect more posts of this nature, I'm afraid.

In a previous post, I blogged about the ELF Essential Jumbo Gloss Sticks.  I am so loving them, especially the one called Movie Star; so comfortable and buildable.  I realized that I liked the pencil-like form for lip products.  It gave me more control and precision upon application.  That is one of the reasons why I went ahead and bought these.  Like I said, I got two: Coral and Nearly Nude.  That was all my Target had so yeah.

They are thinner than the Jumbo Gloss Sticks but more pigmented.  They come in the sleek black packaging that is trademark of the ELF Studio Line with the color represented on one end.  That end detaches from the rest of the stick revealing a built in sharpener.

The product itself is retractable so there's no need to sharpen them.  However, if you prefer a pointed tip, then there's your sharpener.  As with mostall of the swatches on the website, they are not true to color vs the actual item.  But the colors are very closely represented on the sharpener end, at least to me.  If you're still iffy about the color, it's on the sticker also.






I know, I know... they look so much alike.  I took photos of these with flash at night in my room under artificial light.  But trust me, they look different swatched and on the lips.  Mainly, I just wanted to show you the sticker thing I was talking about above lol.  (My Coral came broken but still workable.)  I already used both and I quite like them.  I love the matte lipsticks from Wet'n'Wild and I'm happy with these too.  Unfortunately, out of the four other colors available, I only want just one other, Rich Red.  (I looked for swatches on beauty blogs and that's the only color that appealed to me.)  I'll be getting that eventually.  I still haven't used my $25 gift card.


See what I mean!  Not the same.

Well, okay... slightly similar, I guess.

Nearly Nude goes on a bit streaky/patchy on the lips.  I tried topping with it a nude gloss (ELF Glossy Gloss in Ballet Slippers) but it only made it worse.  With enough blotting and lipsmacking, I finally made it as even as I could. 

Coral is a pinky/orange shade.  It is so beautiful on the lips.  I wore it alone and it perked my face up more than Nearly Nude.  It is still a nude-y lip color on me but since it comes off against my skin tone more orange than pink, I like it.