A-Z Book Survey

12:08 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

I love books and I love doing these survey thingies.  I did run a book blog some time ago, Reading Good Books, but it is currently on an extended hiatus.  I haven't officially closed it but I haven't been on it for months.  Feel free to check it out though.  And how about GoodReads?

I may have taken some time off of book blogging but my reading is still going full speed ahead.  A Google search landed me this bookish survey by The Perpetual Page-Turner.  It looks like fun so here goes!

Author You've Read The Most Books From
"Carolyn Keene".  I've read a good handful from the original Nancy Drew Mysteries.  Although that is a collective pseudonym.  From just one author, JK Rowling.  I read all the Harry Potter books.  However, I can't finish The Casual Vacancy without dozing off.

Best Sequel Ever
For true sequels, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.  The Hunger Games was pretty meh.  And let's not talk about Mockingjay.  For sequel of a sequel, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling, hands down, my favorite HP book.  And also, A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin. 

Currently Reading
I'm on my Jane Eyre annual re-read.

Drink of Choice While Reading
None.  I don't drink when I'm reading.  Even if I'm passing time at a cafe.

E-reader or physical book?
I used to be able to say for sure which one I prefer.  But now, I can go with either.  I mix it up.  One week, I dust off a physical book and my next read will be on an e-reader.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School
LOL - I hate questions like these.  But since we're playing... Gray Pierce of James Rollins' Sigma Force series.  I don't develop crushes on book characters but I'm damn near that with Commander Pierce. ;-)

Glad You Gave This Book a Chance
I feel like this with a lot of books.  Even with authors.  I'm glad I picked up Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution because it introduced me to Michelle Moran.  She's becoming one of my favorite storytellers.  Also, A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.  I actually love the books more than the series now.  I already had so much going on when I decided to start this series.  I ate books 1, 2, and 3 up inside of two months, I think.

Hidden Gem Book
Belle by Lesley Pearce.  This is another one of those random finds.  I think I got this for free on my nook, I'm not sure.  It's a looooong read but I breezed through it because it was well-written and engaging.

Important Moment in Your Reading Life
When my mom introduced me to Nancy Drew Mysteries.  That started it all for me.  I read quite a lot as a child but Nancy Drew was my first fiction obsession, fairy tales don't count.

Just Finished
The Flowers of War by Geling Yan.


Kinds of Books You Won't Read
Easy, Young Adult.  You may argue that I do have quite a few YA books on my shelves but that doesn't mean that I liked them.  I almost never do.  I read YA if I somehow buy into the hype or if the blurb didn't irritate me after the first sentence or if I was bored enough that I'd try anything.

Longest Book You've Read
Probably The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  It was 1,000+ pages, the paperback I read.  The miniseries was brilliant also.

Major Book Hangover Because of
I often get book hangovers... doesn't matter what I read.  It takes me a day or two to decide and commit to my next read. And if I'm working through a series, I'm pretty good at pacing myself.  I won't finish one book if I don't have a copy of the next one yet.

Number of Bookcases You Own
Does the floor count?  How about that huge box in the hallway outside my bedroom?  Hahaha, I have one actual bookcase.  The others... the floor, under my bed, boxes, etc.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times
Generation Kill by Evan Wright.  I read it every year.

Preferred Place to Read
On the train.  On my commute to and from work.


Quote That Inspires You
Honestly, I don't pay much attention to quotes.  I highlight the really good ones but I don't memorize or write them down or anything.  A few that I tend to remember because I've read that book so many times. But I do love this quote from One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick.  That book is quite quotable come to think of it...
"The Marines," my dad said, "will teach you everything I love you too much to teach you."

Reading Regret
My only regrets are "OMG, why did I ever start/read this when I could've been reading something better?" Or "Why the hell did I buy into the hype?" Let's just leave it at that.

Series You Started and Need to Finish (series is complete)
Fifty Shades by EL James.  IKR?  The first one was not terrible, the second one was better, but the "Laters baby" and the inner fcking goddess BS made me lose all interest for the last one.

Three of Your All Time Favorite Books
If you've been around me for quite a while, you would know.  Jane Eyre, Generation Kill/One Bullet Away (tied, yes lol), and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.  I also re-read these three books once every year.

Unapologetic Fangirl For
The Avengers... oops, we're talking about books here, yeah?  I fangirl over the TV/movie adaptations over the books themselves.  So uhm... It's the Harry Potter series, I guess.

Very Excited for This Release More Than All the Others
I get excited when Dan Brown releases new stuff.  He is by no means my favorite author but I can't wait to read his stuff as soon as they come out.

Worst Bookish Habit
So I'll be reading a physical book.  I take it to work with me so I can read on my commute.  Once I get to the last half-inch or so, I leave it at home and start a new book without finishing the previous one.  It would take me a few more days or weeks to finish that book.


X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book
I'm bumming at work so I don't have either a book shelf or my e-reader handy.

Your Latest Book Purchase
 Hmm, it's a thrift store book.  I do about 4 per trip.  I think it's a $2 hardcover copy of Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
ZZZ-Snatcher Book (last one that kept you up way too late)
Generation Kill fan fiction lol.  Confession: I don't like reading at home.  I do almost 90% of my reading in transit.  Or if I'm waiting outside the house.  But when I'm at home, I do other things.