Review: Skinfood Tomato Smoothy Tint in #1 Red Tomato

5:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

I am in love with Korean cosmetics.  I think even if I'm not into the whole Hallyu wave, chances are I would still be into Asian makeup.  After all, my first ever favorite blush is from Canmake, a Japanese brand.  Etude House became my first obsession.  Now that I have a Skinfood nearby, let's see what they have to offer.

First up, we have the Tomato Smoothy Tint in #1 Red Tomato.  My first lip tint.  Yay!  The packaging is not as cute as Etude House's.  It came in a pastel orange-y tube with cute little tomatoes printed on the body.  It only had a clear perforated plastic cover with stickers of the ingredient list.  Here it is beside a MAC lipglass for comparison:


I don't know what it is with Korean products, especially the cosmetics.  These clearly have names in English.  Skinfood is in English.  But it is also "hangul-ized".  Now, you might think that the product name is not on the tube itself.  I thought that when I was at the store.  It is on the plastic covering, which you remove to use the product.  But the name is there... in Hangul.


On the top is the plastic covering with the sticker.  On the bottom is one side of the tube itself.  Notice that it is all in Hangul.  If you don't know how to read Hangul, it'll be easy to miss.  A few weeks ago, I would've missed it myself.  But now... I can read it!  Basically, what it says is "Skinfood Tomato Smoothy Tint [ No.1 Red Tomato ]".  To-ma-to.  ^o^

On the side note, I have a love/hate relationship with "hangul-ized" English words.  I get excited when I see Hangul letters in signs or menus or products like this and I try to read them for practice.  Sure, I have no idea what they mean half the time but I treat it as reading practice and to try to increase my reading speed.  Only to realize that they're essentially English words spelled in Hangul.  아이고!  But I'm more amused than annoyed.  I do actually love it.  A tad bit frustrating but I love it.

Back to the makeup... ㅋㅋㅋ








Like a lip gloss, it comes with a doe foot applicator.  A slightly angled and longer one.  The color when wet is not the color that you would think when you hear the word "red".  Imagine the inside of a roma tomato, like that.  Juicy, bright, and fresh.  And then when dries, the red intensifies a little bit.  I swatched it at the store, on my hand because it grosses me out to put tester items on my face, and then wiped it off after appreciating the color.  And when I got home from the mall, the tint is still there!  But you don't put lip tint on your hand, right?





I don't know if you can see it but I've applied the tint on the middle part of my lips over NYC's lipstick in Mousse which neutralized the natural pigmentation of my lips.  You can see it better in person.  But if you look hard enough, there's a tinge of orange there LOL. (How does one do a proper lip swatch anyway? ㅠ.ㅠ)  It doesn't feel overly drying but it does not feel moisturizing either.  And it smells like tomato juice with a bit of an orange note.

There are 2 more colors in the range, a pink and an orange.  I loved the pink swatched but they didn't have it in stock.  Yes, they had a tester for an out of stock item.  ㅠ.ㅠ I will be coming back for that pink eventually.  The orange was a bit sheer for my tastes.  I like my oranges bold and vibrant so I might skip that one.

Overall, I'm happy with this tint.  Granted this is my first one, this is a good first experience.

Price: $9.80
Where: Skinfood Glendale Galleria