20 Questions for YG사장님

8:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Don't get me wrong, I love YG Entertainment.  I will honestly listen to anything they put out.  Even that gawd-awful 나쁜 기집애 mess.  But they are not above criticism.  A lot of the things they do frustrate me to no end because (1) I don't see the point of doing such and such, (2) what ever that plan is, it doesn't make sense, (3) what they say contradicts something they've preached in the past.  

We are nearing the end of 2013 and YG still has a LOT of things "planned" and with the speed, or lack thereof, of their promotions and releases, I don't think 3 months is enough time.  And clearly, he plays favorites.  You can tell me otherwise but you know it's true.

So here are the 20 things I want to ask, point out, and remind him about his very talented artists:
  1. This may be answered before and I'm just not paying attention but... who is the ??? in G-Dragon's song 결국 Can we add this to Jennie Kim's "featuring" album?  Aren't there other girls in this group?  Aren't they good enough for featuring stints?
  2. What happened to the full MV for Let's Talk About Love?  You don't tease us like that and then forget about it?  That teaser was so effective, it blew up the Internet for a second. It got people talking.  Plus, there's that GDYB featuring.  할말있어요 is a hot song but LTAL MV teaser is hotter.
  3. September is almost over.  CL was taking pictures with random celebrities. in NYC.  Dara was there somewhere also.  Minzy and Bom were... where are they?  And where is the September single from 2NE1?  What happened to "releasing one single per month until the October album release?" 
  4. You have SIX MONTHS to debut 악동뮤지션, YG.  Six months.
  5. Is it possible that the new, non-Bubble Butt GD&TOP single on the new Big Bang album?  Ala- Big Bang Special Edition CD with Oh Yeah and High High?  
  6. In that same vein, GD&TOP, Volume 2 anyone?  I mean, you don't name your album "Volume 1" without a promise of a subsequent offering.  
  7. And also, how about that Jay Park + G-Dragon collaboration?  Was that even true?
  8. Can you just debut all of the WIN kids?  They don't have to be in the same groups as they are on the show.  Maybe pull an EXO or a One Day.  SM and JYP did it so why can't you?  (Or just have Seungri manage a sub-agency and debut the "losing" team, naming them... well, "Victory".)
  9. Speaking of Seungri, obviously he can write good songs too.  Why not let him write a song for Big Bang?  Sure, GD can help and TOP can write his own rap parts but I want to see Seungri's name as first billed in a Big Bang song.
  10. I've seen this happen twice.  Once for TOP and once for your kid, GD.  Define "too hip-hop".  When YG heard some of the material TOP was working on for his solo release, YG didn't like it because it was "too hip-hop".  And again, in GD's newest album, he also said some of the songs in consideration were "too hip-hop".  For an agency that defines itself as predominantly hip-hop, why this exception?  
  11. The Jennie Kim - Bom Park parallel.  Jennie has taken over Bom's place as the go-to featuring artist at YG.  How long did it take for Bom to debut?  How many featurings did she do before that (5)?  How many will it take Jennie?
  12. Is Gummy still with YG?  Last I heard, her contract was expiring.  Updates, please.  
  13. As for Se7en, will you welcome him back to your company again after he gets discharged?  You kinda need him to keep TOP happy lol.  I need my handsome Choi brothers back.  And yes, we can include Mithra Jin there also.  I want that photo to happen.
  14. Please kill all plans to have CL go solo.  She is not effective on her own.  I'm not saying this because I can't stand her, alone or otherwise.  She's fab when she's against the 3 other 2NE1 girls.  She outshines them.  But on her own, she disappears.  Her stage presence works when she's with other people.  It even works against GD.  I honestly can't even remember any of her 나쁜 기집애 solo stages because she gets buried in all those flags and shiny things.  GD walks the thin line between G-Dragon and Kwon Jiyong like a pro.  Between CL and Chaerin, I have a hard time believing either one.  
  15. Let's talk about Kang Seung Yoon.  The kid can sing.  Very well.  If you don't know what to do with him (because you're a "hip-hop agency" and rock is out of your league), keep an open mind and see what he can do.  Don't force him into a box.  You spent two seconds on his promotion and went straight to this WIN thing.  While I'm liking WIN, I would've liked Kang Seung Yoon to have his own thing for a little longer before he disappears into a generic boy group.  He can do it, with the right support, which I know YG can provide.
  16. When are you going to have another YG Family Concert?  I know we're missing Se7en (and possibly Gummy, too.  My mom said she'll go with me if Se7en is there. She LOVED his version of Lonely with Seungri, Taeyang, and Daesung. I even told her that I'll buy her a Se7en lightstick lol) but at least we can have an Epik High party.  Can Epik Bang happen again?  Fan, please.
  17. During the ALIVE TOUR in California, G-Dragon did this awesome as fck "remix" of Crayon.  At MAMA2012, Big Bang did this bomb ass mashup of Crayon+Fantastic Baby called Monster in Me with TOP and his amazing rap verse.  Is it too much to ask for an official release of that?  Those were awesome.
  18. I love Psy.  But I really wish you kept the production in-house.  It's not that I don't have faith in the people he's with now but I fear that he's going to lose that thing that makes his music distinctly Psy.  I mean, do these American music bigwigs understand him?  His music?  Idk, man.  And please, keep GD out of their grasp.
  19. Epik High.  I know that YG사장님 is the JJ Abrams of K-pop... can't juggle more than one project at a time (and once he gets into a new thing, the previous unfinished project falls apart.... I still hate you for fcking up Alias, Abrams) but I'm just reminding you, sir.  Or at least add Tablo to your regular roster of songwriters and producers.
  20. If you're going to set up a US branch, please let it be in Los Angeles.  And can I work for you?  ㅋㅋㅋ...  I don't care if I'll be an elevator operator or greeter.  ;-)
So there's my list.  Do you have anything to add?  Being a YG Stan is frustrating as hell, I know.  But we love our YG artists no matter what.  Uhm... most of the time, anyway.  LOL!